Justice for Kryviy Rih Miners
St Andrew Street in London's Clerkenwell rang out with the shouts of protesters outside the headquarters of the Evras mining company. Supporters of the newly-formed Ukrainian Socialist Solidarity campaign demanded justice for striking members of the Independent Union of Miners of Ukraine who are battling for decent pay.
A World to Win joined leading members of the Independent Workers Union and trade unionists on the picket.
Photos by Peter Arkell
The miners of Kryviy Rih, members of the Independent Union of Miners of Ukraine, are appealing for solidarity to the workers of Europe. Whilst attention has been focused on the conflict in Ukraine the social-economic crisis is being overlooked.
- workers' real wages have fallen by up to 50% as the cost of living has risen
- miners have received only 15% of their actual pay rates
- a promised pay rise for miners of 20% turned into a £25 hand-out.
The mining company EVRAZ they work for is based in London. It is owned by the Russian Oligarch Abramov; he is worth $7.5 billion. These oligarchs who helped cause the crisis in Ukraine, pay slave wages whilst making vast profits. They pay almost no tax, putting their wealth abroad in the City of London.
The Miners of Kryviy Rih are fighting back and are setting an example to all workers in Ukraine. The miners defence brigades have ensured peace and workers unity in Kryviy Rih and prevented any violence. The miners are organising strike action to demand their wages are doubled and are calling for help to win their demands.
Ukrainian Socialist Solidarity is a campaign set up by socialists and trade unionists in England.
- show your support for the mineworkers of Ukraine
- come to the emergency demo, bring union banners and flags
- send messages of solidarity to the Kryviy Rih miners at: email@example.com
23 May 2014